Friday, August 21, 2009

Cragin longevity

My friend Wes Eichenwald wrote that he liked these pages, which was fun, and then sent different links. I poked around one of them and found this:
http://www.ancestry.com/facts/cragin-life-expectancy.ashx

Are Cragins longer lived than others? My grandmother Bertha "Beth" Church Cragin certainly was. She lived at North Hill in Natick from the month the cement dried until her 99th year. Always correct, always in a skirt and hose, perfectly mannered, she set a great example for me and my Cragin Cousins as someone who was tough as nails and smooth as silk. I miss her a lot and learned a lot about grace under pressure from her example. And I'm very glad I have so many cards and letters (one advantage of leaving home young). She had a great way of referring to "that darling old lady" across the elegant dining room, well into her 90s. I started seeing people 20 years younger than my grandmother as older than my grandmother and Grammiebeth was highly skilled at identifying those with more years than herself -- always in a truly warm and admiring way. I remember her at 98 talking about "that sweet old one" over there, who'd just celebrated 100 years.

Okay, my grandmother was born a Church and her mother and father were Scottish (though from Lancashire, I think they'd moved to work in the mills). So she's a Cragin because she married one, but she still counts in the longevity sweepstakes.

On the other hand, there's the example of my great-grandfather Alger Cragin, who began Cragin and Wilkins Sheet Metal in Leominster in 1901 (I think). He died young, and the story was he fell out of an apple tree and broke his neck on the stone wall below.

Another tragic story, although equally foreign to our modern sensibilities (as is the death of Alfred who spent way too much time fooling with gun powder). This may seem exotic to you because if you've gone apple picking anytime in the past 20 years you'd be hardpressed to even climb an apple tree, let alone fall out of one. Modern trees have been grafted into low gangliated fruit-bearing branches. Those old-fashioned apple ladders, that taper near the top, are truly antique. No, if Alger was picking apples today, he'd just walk around the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment